Are you supporting a client with special support needs?
Medical care needs
Finding a GP
If your client needs medical or mental health care, a general practitioner (GP) is the best person to contact – even if you're not sure what's going on, or what sort of help is needed. Below are some resources that you can use to help them find a GP if they don't already have one.
Provides health information for the general public that is specific to Canterbury.
Includes printable factsheets and descriptions of local health services and support.
Wellbeing & mental health
Encourage clients to call or text 1737 any time, day or night, to speak to a trained counsellor for free.
See the Wellbeing & Mental Health page for a wide variety of other resources.
Offers a free counselling service with professionally trained counsellors and psychologists.
Provides tips for coping with a disaster.
Financial & everyday needs
0800 Government Helpline
Clients can call 0800 779 997 or email email@example.com for help or information, or simply to be put in touch with the right people.
Can assist with:
- urgent or unexpected costs.
- loss of income due to inability to work.
- emergency benefit.
- housing concerns, whether you are unable to access your own home or are providing accommodation to others.
Can assist with:
- injuries – paying for medical care, compensation for loss of earnings, help at home, and childcare.
- funeral costs.
- survivor grants.
- ongoing support for children in New Zealand.
- weekly compensation for families/whānau.
See Cultural Awareness for information and resources on working with clients in a culturally sensitive and supportive way.