Sometimes we need to talk to a professional counsellor to help us understand how we're feeling and how to deal with traumatic events.
There is a wide variety of services and organisations available to help you. Your GP can also help.
Need to talk to someone right away? Helplines offer a quick and easy way to get in touch with someone who can help.
- Lifeline– 0800 543 354, or text HELP to 4357
- Depression helpline– 0800 111 757 (available 24/7) or text 4202
- Suicide Crisis– 0508 828 865 (0508 TAUTOKO) – This service helps those thinking about suicide, or those concerned about family or friends. Available 24/7.
- Samaritans– 0800 726 666 (available 24/7)
- Youthline– 0800 376 633 (available 24/7) or free text 234 (8am–12 midnight), or email email@example.com