Housing support

Do you need help with housing or accommodation?

Work and Income NZ can often help with finding a place to stay in an emergency, or if you're having trouble with your housing costs.

Emergency housing

If you are at risk of homelessness and need emergency housing, call Work and Income NZ on 0800 559 009, or if you are over 65, call Senior Services on 0800 552 002.

For instructions on how to apply for emergency housing, visit Work & Income Emergency housing – How to apply.

Help with costs

If you need help paying your rent or mortgage, you may be eligible for an accommodation supplement from Work and Income NZ.

You don't need to already be on a benefit to be eligible for assistance.


The Citizens Advice Bureau also offers helpful guidance and assistance with:

You can also contact them on 0800 367 222.