Health providers and counsellors

Talk to a doctor

As soon as you enroll with a general practice, you immediately have a team of people ready to help you and your family stay well and healthy.

The GP can talk to you, provide treatment and care, and help find other support if needed. You can call your general practice team 24/7 and receive advice after-hours from a registered nurse for yourself or a loved one. If you do not have a GP there is more information on how to find one and enroll below:

Counselling services

  • Call or text 1737 any time, day or night, to talk with a trained counsellor for free.
  • Christchurch Resettlement Services – the counselling team can provide counselling for people from who are migrants and refugees in their mother tongue or with the support of an interpreter.
  • Purapura Whetu – offer free individual support for people with a suspected, developing or identifiable mental illness, and/or an addiction problem. Their mobile team provide support to the Muslim community in the Canterbury area in their home and/or the community. 
  • The Canterbury Charity Hospital offers free counselling services.
  • 298 Youth Health provides free counselling and medical care for children and young people aged 10 to 24 years.
  • The Women's Centre offers free counselling services for women.
  • Canterbury Men’s Centre offers counselling for men – you may be eligible for a Work and Income NZ Disability Allowance and the Centre can help you navigate that process
  • To talk to someone about support for wellbeing concerns for your child or young person please contact:
    • For 0-12 years - support coordinated by Family Works. Email or phone 03 - 363 8214
    • For 13-18 years - support coordinated by Community Youth Mental Health Service. Email or phone 03 281 7616
  • The Mental Health Education and Resource Centre offers a list of counselling services available in the Christchurch and Canterbury region.

Workplace support

Most organisations offer mental health support through Employee Assistance Programmes (EAPs) or from people within the organisation. You can also seek help through your GP.